Every day, we encounter situations that leave a lasting impression on us. Collecting items that are meaningful to us or serve a specific purpose is natural. You reach a point in your personal development where you must make a choice. If you take one lane, everything stays the same. Every day is the same in terms of your job, your friends, and your routine. Taking the other path can lead to making new friends, starting a business, or taking advantage of other opportunities. There is, however, a cost...you must let go of things that no longer serve you in your life.
Everyone's process for letting go is different. You may have to let go of stuff and clutter, a terrible job situation, or a once-valued relationship. There are different levels of difficulty in each case, but letting go will have the following benefits for you:
1) You regain emotional energy. Putting away a grudge, for example, will reveal how much energy you have spent on anger and hurt. In your pain, you may have accidentally distanced friends and family. Rather than letting the culprit drain your energy, forgive them and move on to better things.
2) You reclaim your identity. In the aftermath of a painful relationship, you may begin to doubt who you are. When you let go of toxic relationships, you can rediscover yourself and dream about the future.
3) You create the possibility to change. Keeping yourself tied to the same job because of fear prevents you from pursuing new career opportunities or starting your own business. Embrace the possibilities and let go of the fear.
4) Your joy is restored. You have lost your happiness when you dread going to work or hanging out with people who don't value you. You may need to rethink your career choices or limit your extended family contact.
5) You become more focused. In today's distracted society, we are burdened by day-to-day things. Our smartphones and social media keep us from focusing on what really matters. Putting down your phone and letting go of the need to scroll through social media will help you regain your focus.
Letting go is essential to moving forward. Take action today to ensure your success.
Sheréa VéJauan (Pronounced shuh-RAY VAY-jahn) is an entrepreneur, podcast host and workshop presenter. She is a published author of over eleven books and journals. She is the co-founder of The Goal Setter’s Club - a coaching organization that specializes in goal-setting exploration, plan implementation, and purpose attainment.
Sheréa is also a Certified Coach, Trainer, and Speaker with the John C. Maxwell Team and certified DISC Behavioral Analyst. She resides in Southern California, a devoted wife of thirty years and mother to three adult children. Visit her at ShereaVejauan.com